Sunday, June 22, 2008

Noja

Of course, Holland choked and were totally outplayed by Russia who deserved to win. I harkened back to a month previous watching a certain hockey team drop to another Red team.

Today I took a ride without my gear for the first time ever. I had just the handlebar bag and it was as if I grew wings. At first, the bike and I did not respond to one another well as I longed for the steadfast weight to which I had become so accustommed. I gradually found my legs and the bike and I passed several decked-out Spanish riders speedily with no thought. I feel so strong. I did not even get out of the seat when climbing a mjaor hill. Just pushed hard and fast and left others behind me. My body is physically the best it has been in years.

My mind, too, is working in overdrive as I polish off my fourth book of the journey. My great reunion with fiction has been as beautiful and graceful as I imagined for two long years. Finally I can read the books I accumulated over the two years of book sales and random pick-ups. Thus far, Camus, Fitzgerald, Momaday, and Chevalier have graced my presence. More book purchasing in Santander for sure. Maybe Brian will trade a few with me, too. Sadly, I have left many in hotel drawers or other bookshelves on my route. They will be loved by someone I am sure, but a finished book is deadweight in my mind. Such is the mentality of a touring biker.

Today is cloudy and humid and unlike the past few days. Rain is about and I will pray that I can reach Santander tomorrow without much rain. I have a feeling in my gut I will ride in the rain to get there to meet Brian- same feeling as before it rained last time!

No comments: