Friday, June 13, 2008

Madrid-Puebla de Belena-Cogolludo-Hiendelaencina-Atinza-Berlanga de Duero-SORIA

For those keeping a rocrd, those are my locations that have made an impact thus far and will allow you to follow my path through the sirras north of Madrid, and yes, there are mountains, unbenkownst to me earlier. I have just 14 minutes so forgive me speed and poor writing.

I think of on eof my favorite professors, Edmunds Bunkse when I make such journies in life. I always strive to be similar to him in rejecting being a tourist and becoming and traveler, or better yet, an explorer. Taking up my bike and getting lost over and over on my way out of Madrid, coursing through the bright Spanish countryside full of mountains, streams, and sheep, I realize I have followed in his large, Estonian footsteps yet again.

Thus far, I have witnessed many castles, in various state of ruin, biked something on the order of 150 miles with a 60 pound bike strapped to my rear (a sore one at that), and the list of dramatic numbers continues. However, the numbers and the realities pale in comparison to setting up my tent amongst a grove of straight-planted birches and watching the Spanish sunset half naked in a field of wheat.

I have eaten anything I could get my hands on, but fruit seems to be a big draw for me now. Many its the requirements of a strained body. In the next ten days, I don´t expect to work quite as hard. I plan to reach Santander by the 23rd at 6PM to meet Brian! My aquizition of internet through that time in highly doubtful.

Thus far, I have been gifted many things by extraordinary people throughout my trip. They include: hand drawn directions to find my way out of Madrid, 4 bananas, and a key chain.

I must express, now, though, the difficulty I had in leaving Madrid. With no map and all roads leading to highways out of cities, I had to rely on my wayfinding ability to escape the city. I managed but just barely, and made it to a campsite. Finally finding myself on a map, I was home suddenly. A blip on a map that I could follow. No longer lost in the world, but found and at home, on a bike, moving through Spain.

This has been jumbled and difficult, but try to follow me as I ramble through the next few days and attempt to fish in this country! I will update shortly. I love you all very much and my thoughts continuously drift toward my family and wonderful friends. It is in times of solitude that we are reminded how important a warm smile can be.

No comments: