Saturday, June 21, 2008

My Personal Poly Phonics (MP3s!)

For those of you wondering, no, I don´t have an iPod with me on this trip. Yes, I miss my tunes. My head does not do justice to She Smiled Sweetly or any La Oreja de Van Gogh song, which I invariably get jammed in my head. I do, however, have music, the sound of life playing with me as I jounrey through the European countryside:

Cowbells- Gotta have more! Am I right? No, really. Cow, sheep, horses, goats all have bells and they ring wildly through the hillsides. I love it. The calfs have smaller bells which ring lightly and the bulls sound like churches. They are the most melodic sounds.

Churchbells- More bells. They are rung, for real, not electronic or anything, by someone at the church at the correct times through the day. They are old and beautiful set in centuries-old spires. I slept across from a contantly ringing church in Ezcaray.

Bike gears- constant under me. Less melodic but always there. They are the back beat to the rest of the world´s music.

Birds- not surprising, but everywhere, we just don´t always take note when talking and listening to iPods. I hear birds everywhere always. I bike, camp, sleep, hang at the beach and birds are there.

Wind- In my ears! No surprise, but behind all the other ¨noises¨is the sound of the wind blowing past me, either created by myself or created by a nasty headwind which blew me away for the first 3 days of my journey!

Finally, least OK, Cars and trucks- Either zooming toward me in the every-increasing pitch of approach or quickly barrelling down on me from behind and worrying me with size and proximity.

No comments: