Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Before and...

Perhaps I should first preface this bike trip. It is not a singular entity and I should not treat it as a powerpoint- a straight line from start to finish. Indeed, this trip grew and evolved as I did through my final year of graduate school. It evolved through discussions with my friends. It evolved through a transition into a long distance relationship. There are backdrops and stories and growth just in my reaching this point of sitting on the saddle for the first time in Spain.

For those unaware, I just completed a 19 year education and for the past 15 months I have spoken of doing something big when it was over. Having studied, interned, and worked through my college years, a well deserved break was in order. Further, this would place a cap on one portion of my existence and bring in another time in my life while allowing me to reflect. I will also return to my continent of homeland and comfort which I aspire to bring into my life on a daily basis. Europa! Magyarorszag!

I told Jess that I would make a journey like this during the long snowy Ithaca winter last year. I knew I would follow through in some capacity. Ideas included hiking the Appalachian trail, biking across the US- north/south or east/west, fly fishing around this country via car, or bumming around Europe in some capacity. I immediately began to push Oliver, Rob, and various friends to join me- a companion for safety and mental health. Fortunately, Brian had the same time off to invest in a major undertaking such as the one on which we are about to embark. His story includes travel funding, being turned away by the CEU, and Manchester, England where he will show his photography.

I settled on a route across Europe, southern Europe as a matter of consequence. The plane ticket could be bought for Madrid and so I accepted that as my break-point. I should mention now that the planning has been minimal. I have all the tools for the job, or so I assume. Other than your expected camera, clothes, and bags, the biking aspect of the journey forced inclusion of padded shorts, replacement everything, a new seat, and new tires. Most every decision thus far has been by happenstance- very little rhyme of reason or distinct order in my planning. This is a departure from my life and from my typical MO of a heavily planned existence. The open-ended itinerary and disregard for direction is both scary and intriguing to me. I can only hope my momentum toward Madrid is carried forward into my bike.

As a side note, the bike will likely weigh 30 pounds in addition to the weight of the bike and myself. Two weeks ago, I rode 15 miles. I have not ridden over 20 miles in about 6 months. This upcoming Monday I pray that I will ride 40 miles with an added 30 pounds. I still cannot imagine the pain and changes my body will go through.

One aspect which brings my blood to a boil is the opportunity to fly fish in Europe- a dream of mine since beginning my fly fishing adventures. I hope to fish: La Rioja, Slovenia, Croatia, Slovakia, and Italy. If I am able to fish in just two of those places, I will be elated. I am carrying one small fly rod in a self-built pvc protective case and one flybox full of my favorite flies.

Here, two days before I begin this great journey I sit before my Weather Channel and ponder the challenges. Through the moments of distress and euphoria, exhaustion and relief, I will also be carrying the love and support of family and friends who will in fact lighten my load on my TRANS EUROPA EXPRESZ.

Here are just a few of the many who have supported my great adventure:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bon Voyage! May the wind be at your back and the sun on your face. Enjoy this time of exploration and adventure abroad...

Oliver Baranczyk said...

this trip is your very own jizzaa!