Thursday, August 14, 2008

One Month

As of 6 days ago, I had just one month left in continental Europe. At that time, on September 8, I will be returning to the United States, a future which continues to increase in the clarity of reality and the lens continues to refocus and readjust on changing possibilities. In the meantime, I have one month remaining of my great adventure, yet I have relatively settled for the time being. I have plans, destinations and times and even a roof over my head whenever I like. Still, the next (now) 3 weeks hold many exciting turns and twists which continue to mold me as I meet more and more people who will change my outlook.

As of now, for the record, I cycled 2, 411 kilometers. No, its not 3000 as I had hoped but a fair attempt to say the least. And, for now, the bicycle, and I are resting. I cleaned out my bags and prepared for more touring via train than bike over the next 3 weeks. I will also have more clothing and ready access to toilets, stoves, beds, and pillows. All extraodrinary luxuries I will likely not see as ordinary again anytime soon.

Since my last post, I have visited with family and nonfamily members who have cared for me more kindly than I could ever expect or relate in a blog. It is this kind of giving without recieving hospitality I look forward to passing on in the near future once I can become the too-kind host. If anything can be learned from the past few weeks, it is this lesson, one which I have seen and appreciated everytime I return to Hungary. As a 3rd cousin, son of a high school classmate, or son of an elementary school classmate, I was treated royally. We ate every kind of classic summer Hungarian meal and treat and were force fed pálinka every few hours if not minutes beginning at 7 in the morning and ending as night caps. Brian and I relented to the kind treatment and our specially-trained biking ways fell by the wayside very quickly.

Now, in Budapest, we are resting and recuperating from a lengthy paddling trip up and down the Duna- a total of approximately 70 miles. So, although our legs are resting, our arms continued to fight the current. Self propelled travel is the way to go. Feeling of accomplishment and health benefits aside, it saves extraodrinary amounts on oil consumption and gives the traveler a much better insight into the landscape through which they are traveling. All around, the self propelled portion of the summer has been a great one.

In two days, I will travel to Bratislava and experience another country yet again! Unfortunately, with no ability to speak the language, I will rely on my hosts to assist me in muddling through. Can't wait to add another city and another country to my travels!

2 comments:

D & E said...

Kris!
How the heck are you? Sorry I have not kept up to date on your trip, I just stumbled across your blog. I hope all is well, we miss you here in the States, and look forward to seeing you when you return (assuming that you'll return at some point).
Dave (and Emily).
PS. we bought a house and a dog! Thus, you're welcome any time and we'll show you the best hospitality that we're capable of.

tac said...

kris! this is Beth secretly leaving comments via Paul's account. I am so pleased to read that you are having a good time, that you accomplished your goal, and (perhaps selfishly) that you will be back among us soon. I saw this article and thought of you. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26335667/?GT1=43001