Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Magyarország

It vagyok!

I am so glad to be back to Hungary, bicycling roads I know around Balaton and seeing pieces of my family and my fathers past.

After a great night with our German acrobat friends which involved a dry land version of Marco Polo and my first swim in the Balaton, we rode to visit Tamás, Evelyn, Julics, and József- who took amazing care of us! Sitting high on the volcanic remains above Balaton, we dined on gulyás, gomboc, lecsó, and dinnye while drinking József's home made wine and his mother's pálinka. Havent eaten that much or that well in months! I also reviewed pictures from my édes apa's time in Bourgcastle(Spelling?) and it turns out that we look EXACTLY the same. Also of note, he wore leather jackets in the winter with tight high waters and beautiful leather shoes while riding his bike in the snow.

Leaving in a food stupor, Brian and I rode until a major thunderstorm forced us to set camp next to the railroad tracks I have ridden so many times before around Balaton. Sleeping next to the tracks was not too easy, though, but it was necessary as the storm blew hurricane force winds across Balaton as I have seen happen before! We sat in the bar drinking Arany Ászok, another Hungarian treat, and playing rummy infinity. Now I return to the home I spent so many summers retiring in during my impressionable teenage years along the Balaton, the Kovacs lakás. No Siofok bulizni this time, though, just time with family!

Magyar vagyok.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Hungary !
And who were those two doubters who voted NO when the question was asked : Will Krisztian make it to Hungary ??
Krisztian , we envy you !!

Unknown said...

én igennel szavaztam!

matthew hendren said...

i was a doubter. i voted n, because i though the K & B who left NY would no doubt be left far behind as they struggled up some mountain, bathed in vino, or bounced to u.s. pop abroad. they have arrived in hungary yes, but are they the ones who departed months ago? perhaps. identity is a fickle thing. i voted yes too by the way - cause i happen to have spent some time with these gents and know that neither mountains nor blues would have stood between a worthwhile challenge as such.

catch you on the flipside fratelli