Saturday, July 5, 2008

Zaragoza-Barcelona, Simply.

I am now sitting down to a computer in the home of Bernat´s parents on yet another beautiful day in Barcelona where the winds blows off the green hills to dance among women´s dresses and the sun brings forth the masses to descend upon the sand and play in the oh-so-blue surf.

Brian and I boarded a train in Zaragoza too escape the desert and trecherous heat of the Spanish interior. As we rolled out of town on a much cooler day than our arrival, we followed the Rio Ebro and suddenly the Spanish landscape flew past our big train window. The pace of the bicycle was shattered by the daunting speed of the local ¨slow¨train. We read and slept as the abandon weather-beaten cottages flew past our windows. Hills, dry, full of rock had broken the owners of the lands and the only remaining residents lived in the small towns dotting the countryside. Winter, the wettest, was the only growing season here. Then the Mediterranean suddenly jumped into view and I was beyond excitement. After hearing about it from my family so many times, it was finally mine to hold in my sight and play in for many weeks to come!

We arrived in Barcelona in a beautiful train station and immediately were thrown into tourist frenzy. To find our place to meet Bernat, Brian and I latched onto Americans and Italians who had maps or were going to the subway and everyone was very happy to help a fellow tourist. Unfortunately, this also made me feel like I cheated my way into and around the city whereas until now, I was spoken to only in Spanish and treated like a crazy foreigner- a feeling which settles and becomes a satisfying role. No longer. We made it to Bernat and ate a delicious traditional Catalan dinner in which we spread tomato and oil and salt on the bread and then loaded meats and cheeses upon the bread! Heaven. We have also consumed an inordinate level of wine.

We finished the night in Bernat´s favorite bar where we continued to catch up with him and learn more about his life here while strolling the exciting, vibrant streets full of people even on a Thursday. I spoke with a Slovak fellow who worked for the Red Cross in Burundi with war prisoners. He was on vacation to escape the realities of his daily life for just one week and will return two days from now. I asked him to share some of his life and it was an important reminder of just how easily our lives drift along in the developed world with very few cares relatively. Even my trip made me feel all-too-privilaged and I tried to avoid the subject but I was left in a changed state the rest of the evening after an hour of talking with the man.

The next day, Brian and I spent time in the local area, seeing a bar Bernat´s roommate was opening and getting a cafe and buying a new shirt for me. I decided I need more than just one t-shirt for the next several weeks where it will be warm. I look distinctly more European, or at least Pakistani, in it. We cruised to the tourist sights- Gaudi´s cathderal and park spaces to witness not only interesting architecture but HORDES of tourists. Enough to make a man crazy and so Brian opted out and slept by the end of it while I strolled some more of the park grounds. The cathedral was so ornate and unbeievable that I was glad to spend that time despite the tourists.

In the evening, Brian went to visit a friend who happened to be living in the city as of a week ago and I ate a late dinner with Bernat and strolled the streets to eventually meet his girl, Stella, a very kind Greek who spoke perfect English despite never having traveled to an English speaking country. We spent time in an unusual place full of skateboaders and sitters just talking and carrying on with beers being sold by Pakistani men. The scene is loud and exciting and public- an unusual combination for an American to witness. We ended the evening at a bar which I loved. The front window had aqua con gas pitcher antiques and the place was packed crowded in with good lighting behind the bar and loud with the music loud enough to roll over everybody. The music was all American and British soul, jazz, instrumentals and the crowd would occasionally break out in dance to a good one- though no one really moved far because you couldn´t. I stood with my back pressed against the bar or turned around the whole night talking with Bernat or his girlfriend or her Greek friends. We got home after 3, my first real European night out in several years!

Today we biked to see Bernat´s hometown and swim for the Mediterranean for the first time in my life! The water is clear beautiful blue and the perfect temperature. We swam and came to the house for a great vegetable lunch and will return tonight to town for a beach party! Brian and I are really enjoying the Barcelona scene- Brian says its his favorite location so far. But thats it for my first Mediterranean update- many more to come!

No comments: